[ 2 ]
25% 25% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Philosophical Movie Night!

Post  Satirical on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 pm

I. Love. Movies. Some of them more than others, but most of them in general. Chris Becker (?) openly wondered whether we had movie nights complete with discussions. Obviously, this would be an awesome idea. So, in accordance with the rules I just made up, let's take a vote! I have listed ten movies below with descriptions. If you have any movies you prefer, just add them in a response (I can only add ten at a time, or believe me this list would be much longer). So, without further ado...

Fight Club: I am spoiling nothing by telling you that Brad Pitt's role in this film is unreal. Deeply psychological thrill ride touching on conceptions of identity, moral motivation, and utilitarian ethics among other things. Also, in my opinion, one of the few times the movie>book.

Being John Malkovich: Love the actor, and getting in his head is an interesting experience. Covers topics of moral justification, identity as it concerns relationships, and baldness in some detail.

Moon: Great, methodical, movie akin to the Underground Man if the eponymous character had no one to talk with. The sheer cockiness, justified by position, and unabashed by emerging truths during the film leads to a mixture of interesting, confusing philosophical dilemmas. Superficially, the film touches on alienation, identity (a common theme it would seem), and boredom.

Clockwork Orange: The impressive classic derided by the author, but praised by generations. Ultra-violence, russie-slang, notions of trust, and the logical conclusion of the technological age as perceived by Burgess come together in this well-paced Kubrick masterpiece. Also, a great movie for discussion!

Io Non Ho Paura: Italian film about trust, fear, dependence, and political affiliation. Deeply disturbing, and yet deeply moving. If you can stand the Italian (beautiful language) subtitles, this film would prove to be an interesting discussion starter.

The Machinist: Aside from a Christian Bale suffering from malnutrition, which is quite a shock noting when this was filmed, this film touches on topics of guilt, sublimation, and the conscience. Moreover, stalking, the morality of prostitution, and ideals of salvation are discussed with a strong existential tint.

American History X: Powerful film on a powerful topic (I bought it once for my uncle for Christmas, go figure) touching on racism, understanding, and environmental influence. Not for the sentimentalist, but I can imagine strong sides taken in a discussion over the movie (which is the main motivation for my selections!).

Synecdoche in New York: Excellent realistic examination of simulation in our world of presentation and representation. Consider hypothetical worlds in which you do not exist, now make one. Ample room for debate, and not just over Hoffman's performance.

Rashomon: Film about testimony and interpretation. A Kurosawa joint (the guy from the Bare Naked Ladies songs) relating a murder from multiple perspectives all within a frame narrative which may not be entirely trustworthy. Also, subtitled in case that is a deal-breaker.

Examined Life: Philosophical documentary covering several modern scholars. Judith Butler and Cornell West, for instance, cover respective notions of disability and identity, and message interpretation in political engagements. Strictly speaking, the most philosophical film of this list, but also lacking a musical score, a Vaseline lens, and CGI.

So, let's rock the vote!
Satirical
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top